7 Americans killed in Afghanistan plane crash
KABUL, Afghanistan (KABC) -- Investigators are trying to determine whether a U.S. cargo plane crash in Afghanistan was a coordinated attack or simply a devastating accident. Seven Americans aboard the aircraft were killed.
The Boeing 747 crashed Monday just after takeoff from Bagram Air Base near Kabul. National Air Cargo, which operated the plane, said the cargo onboard included vehicles and routine, general cargo. The flight was destined for Dubai.
The Taliban immediately claimed credit for the take down, but NATO said the claims were false, and there was no sign of insurgent activity in the area at the time of the crash.
Bill Hassler, who identified his brother, Brad, as one of the victims, said he believes the plane may have crashed because the load shifted, causing the plane to stall while on takeoff.
I love my brother more than anything," Hassler said. "If I could trade places with him so that he could be with his family, I would in a heartbeat."
Others killed in the crash were 33-year-old Jamie Brokaw and Michael Sheets, who was engaged to be married this year.
The Afghanistan Ministry of Transportation and Commercial Aviation is leading the investigation. The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board is sending a team of investigators to Afghanistan to assist.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
plane crash, world news, elex michaelson
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones 12 min ago
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD 10 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard 55 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
1 min ago