Nelson Mandela hospitalized for third day with lung infection
JOHANNESBURG (KABC) -- Former South African president and Nobel Peace Prize winner Nelson Mandela remains hospitalized in Pretoria Monday.
It's his third day there, where's he receiving treatment for a recurring lung infection. At last report, Mandela was in serious but stable condition.
Mandela "once again endures the ravages of time in hospital," said the Cape Town based Desmond and Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation. "We offer our thanks to God for the extraordinary gift of Mr. Mandela, and wish his family strength."
The African National Congress, South Africa's ruling party, has dismissed a report in Monday's edition of The Star newspaper that Mandela's family had barred senior party leaders and government officials from visiting the hospital.
The 94-year-old last spent time in the hospital in April for pneumonia.
Mandela has been vulnerable to respiratory problems since contracting tuberculosis during 27 years as the prisoner of the white racist government. Most of that time was spent on Robben Island, off the coast of Cape Town, where Mandela and other prisoners spent part of the time toiling in a stone quarry.
He was freed in 1990, and then embarked on peacemaking efforts during the tense transition that saw the demise of the apartheid system and his own election as president in 1994.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train 29 min ago
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin 9 min ago
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition 1 min ago
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- El Nino watch: Cycle possible next winter
8 min ago