Nelson Mandela spends 10th day in hospital; wife expresses thanks
JOHANNESBURG (KABC) -- As Nelson Mandela spent his 10th day in the hospital Monday, his wife thanked people for their support.
Graca Machel says the love and generosity from across the world has brought comfort and hope to her husband and their family.
"The messages have come by letter, by SMS, by phone, by Twitter, by Facebook, by email, cards, flowers and the human voice, in particular the voices of children in schools or singing outside our home," Machel said in a statement. "We have felt the closeness of the world and the deepest meaning of strength and peace."
The 94-year-old former South African president is in serious condition with a recurring lung infection.
President Jacob Zuma said Sunday that Mandela remains in serious condition but that his doctors are seeing sustained improvements. Zuma also said that Mandela is engaging with family during visits.
Machel and Mandela married in 1998, marking Mandela's third marriage and her second. Machel already has experienced the loss of a husband. Mozambican President Samora Machel, her first husband, died in a plane crash in 1986.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial 41 min ago
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 19 min ago
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- 'Button-down' Bandit' strikes Corona bank
- Man arrested for Ventura transient's murder
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment 45 min ago
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Video: Evangeline Lilly talks 'The Hobbit' film 3 min ago
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke