Former USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested in Mexico
CANCUN, Mexico (KABC) -- A former University of Southern California professor who was recently added to the FBI's most wanted list has been captured in Mexico.
Authorities say 64-year-old Walter Lee Williams was arrested in the southern resort city of Playa del Carmen.
Williams was wanted on charges of sexual exploitation of children and traveling abroad for the purpose of engaging in sexual acts with children.
The indictment alleges Williams traveled from Los Angeles to the Philippines in January 2011 to engage in sex acts with two 14-year-old boys he met online in 2010, the U.S. Department of Justice said in a statement Monday.
Williams was a professor of gender and sexuality studies at USC until 2011. It was not immediately known when he will be extradited to Southern California.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months