Canadian terror plot thwarted, 2 arrested
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (KABC) -- A Canadian man and woman have been arrested on terrorism charges after authorities announced Tuesday the pair plotted to leave a pressure cooker-style explosive outside a government building during a major Canadian holiday.
John Stewart Nuttall and Amanda Marie Korody were arrested Monday, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Assistant Commissioner James Malizia said at a press conference. They have been charged with conspiracy, facilitating a terrorist activity and making an explosive device.
Authorities say Nuttall and Korody attempted to leave a suspicious package at British Columbia's provincial legislature on Canada Day, celebrated Monday.
Photographs released by the RCMP show that three pressure cookers, similar to the pressure cooker devices used to house explosives in the Boston Marathon bombing in April, are among the evidence. The bombings in Boston killed three and injured more than 260 others.
Police say the alleged plot was influenced by al Qaeda ideology, but called it a domestic threat with no connections to groups overseas. Police also said the public was never at risk and the threat was detected early.
"I want to reassure our citizens that at all times during the investigation, our primary focus was the safety and protection of the public," Malizia said. "While the RCMP believes this threat was real, at no time was the security of the public at risk."
RCMP Assistant Commissioner Wayne Rideout said that the devices in the alleged plot were "completely under our control, they were inert."
ABC News and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
arrest, terrorism, world news
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped 1 min ago
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC 56 min ago
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside 7 min ago
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W 45 min ago
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler