Local couple stranded after cruise canceled
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A local couple's wedding anniversary became a nightmare when a cruise line suddenly canceled a two-week cruise, citing problems with the ship.
They're among the hundreds of stranded passengers who stood in a terminal in Singapore after learning their cruise to Australia had been canceled.
Randi Feilich and her husband, Brad Hirsch, left Sunday night and flew 20 hours. The Calabasas couple was set to board the Sun Princess for a 14-day cruise to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary. They had been planning this trip for months.
"It was shocking, because they really had an opportunity to contact us. My cellphone has been on the entire time we've been here," said Feilich.
Princess Cruises says it had to cancel the cruise because of an onboard power problem that would have hindered the ship's ability to run its hotel operations. Ironically, the Sun Princess had just undergone a multi-million-dollar overhaul.
Feilich and Hirsch believe officials knew there was a problem and should have notified the cruise's 2,000 passengers. They had purchased tickets to fly home from Australia in two weeks, and now they're stuck in Singapore.
"We're scrambling now to figure out what we're going to do," said Feilich.
Princess Cruises issued a statement saying that it is providing all passengers a full refund and a 100-percent future cruise credit. It is also covering the costs for all return flights home and incidentals.
world news, amy powell
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...
- Stress management tip - call your doctor
37 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
32 min ago