Local couple stranded after cruise canceled
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A local couple's wedding anniversary became a nightmare when a cruise line suddenly canceled a two-week cruise, citing problems with the ship.
They're among the hundreds of stranded passengers who stood in a terminal in Singapore after learning their cruise to Australia had been canceled.
Randi Feilich and her husband, Brad Hirsch, left Sunday night and flew 20 hours. The Calabasas couple was set to board the Sun Princess for a 14-day cruise to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary. They had been planning this trip for months.
"It was shocking, because they really had an opportunity to contact us. My cellphone has been on the entire time we've been here," said Feilich.
Princess Cruises says it had to cancel the cruise because of an onboard power problem that would have hindered the ship's ability to run its hotel operations. Ironically, the Sun Princess had just undergone a multi-million-dollar overhaul.
Feilich and Hirsch believe officials knew there was a problem and should have notified the cruise's 2,000 passengers. They had purchased tickets to fly home from Australia in two weeks, and now they're stuck in Singapore.
"We're scrambling now to figure out what we're going to do," said Feilich.
Princess Cruises issued a statement saying that it is providing all passengers a full refund and a 100-percent future cruise credit. It is also covering the costs for all return flights home and incidentals.
world news, amy powell
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 15 min ago
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- Griffith Park mountain lion exposed to poison
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12 52 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- 'The Other Woman' gets last laugh in theaters
49 min ago