Passenger lands plane safely after pilot falls ill mid-flight
LONDON (KABC) -- A passenger with no flying experience landed a small airplane safely at a British airport after the pilot became ill Tuesday.
Officials said the plane sent a mayday call as it returned to the Sandtoft airfield in northeast England after the pilot collapsed mid-flight.
With step-by-step instructions from flight instructors, John Wildey was able to successfully land the plane at Humberside Airport.
"The passenger flew over the airport a couple of times and was then talked down by two flight instructors, and the emergency services were waiting for them when he landed safely," the airport said in a statement.
Wildey said he could not reach the brakes at first and thought he would not make it, but eventually managed to stop the plane.
Wildey and the pilot, who died upon landing, were the only people onboard the small plane.
An inquest is now underway to establish what caused the pilot's sudden death.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
airport, airplane, unbelievable, world news
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought 23 min ago
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- DUI driver hits sign, car and pedestrian 10 min ago
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres 22 min ago
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Tyler The Creator arrested at SXSW festival 56 min ago
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report