Los Angeles man detained by Egyptian security forces released
CAIRO (KABC) -- The American translator held since last Wednesday in Cairo has been released by Egyptian security forces, according to officials.
Jeremy Hodge, 25, of Los Angeles had been detained for unknown reasons.
On Sunday, officials said he had been released from police custody. His Egyptian roommate, filmmaker Hossam Meneai, remains in police custody. He was ordered to be held an additional 15 days pending investigation.
Meneai, 36, a native of El-Arish in North Sinai, is being investigated on charges of spreading false news and disrupting public order, according to his lawyer Ahmed El-Sandabay.
Facebook and other social media had been Hodge's mother's link to the other side of the world as she waited for word on her son. Hodge has lived in the war torn country since October 2012, working as an Arabic translator. An unusual Facebook post tipped off Hodge's mother, Lisa De Moraes, that something wasn't right.
According to De Moraes, the post said, "Does anybody know Jeremy's passport number? The Embassy needs to know."
She said that on Wednesday night, police went to Hodge's apartment to look for Meneai, who wasn't home at the time.
"His English roommate does not speak Arabic, so Jeremy was translating and they just were very fixated on the fact that Jeremy spoke such good Arabic. This was disconcerting to them," said De Moraes.
egypt, world news, leanne suter
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours 3 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 43 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 2 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 52 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq 15 min ago
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks