Dining with Dills - Scarlet Tea Room
August 4, 2006 -- There's a new tea room in Old Town Pasadena, it's called the Scarlet Tea Room and I was very impressed. I think you'll agree.
Walk in and your eyes will be immediately drawn to the huge crystal chandelier in the center of the room. It's from Austria and comes from the world famous Swavorski crystal house. What a wonderful piece of art work.
The rather small dining area seats 65 to 70 when every table is filled, as is usually the case during the tea service adventure.
Depending on the day of your visit you'll find mostly women although there will be a few gentlemen enjoying the tea ceremony.
Your host is Karen Mikaelian, the charming and entertaining owner of the Scarlet Tea Room. She's always on hand to explain the five course scarlet tea ceremony and each course in detail.
The tea ceremony begins with her signature scarlet sorbet to refresh the palate. Next, the traditional scones, homemade of course, accompanied by lemon curd, seasonal preserves and the signature "Scarlet" cream. These scones are winners and not to be missed.
There are ten tea sandwiches to select from. You get to select four. My favorites are cucumber and watercress and green apples and cheese.
After that, assorted mini desserts ending with strawberries Romanoff, a good way to end this culinary adventure.
Since this is a tea ceremony you'll have a choice of 22 different varieties.
For an extra $5 you can order a soup - there's a different soup Tuesday through Friday.
You can also enjoy a flute of champagne for $8, it makes a festive touch, particularly if you're celebrating a special event.
The bottom line it's a pleasant way to spend a few hours relaxing with friends.
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies
- Suspicious bag found on the tarmac at LAX
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors