Eye On L.A.
Buy a pair, they give a pair to kids in need
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Here in Los Angeles getting the newest styles of everything can become a bit of an addiction, but thanks to an L.A.-based shoe company treating yourself to a new pair of shoes could actually do good around the world.
Santa Monica-based TOMS Shoes is changing lives as well as business attitudes. For every pair of shoes it sells, the company donates a pair to a child in need.
"The business model is so simple," said TOMS Shoes founder and CEO Blake Mycoskie. "For every pair of shoes we sell, we give a pair away."
Mycoskie started his first business at the age of 19. But it was his appearance on the reality TV show "The Amazing Race" that gave him a larger purpose. He says being on the show allowed him to see the world and visit developing countries.
"When we started, this idea was very radical and people couldn't believe that we were going to give away a pair of shoes when we sold a pair," said Mycoskie. "Now more and more businesses are looking to TOMS and seeing that we can build a sustainable for-profit business and help hundreds of thousands of people at the same time."
eye on l.a.
- Memorial Day: More travelers hitting the road 47 min ago
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- Disneyland holding Monstrous 'All-Nighter'
- 405 North crash, fuel spill snarls traffic
- Fatal S. LA drive-by shooting suspects sought
- LA gang activity coordinated from Kansas home
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Deputies shoot, killed armed man in Compton 25 min ago
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- OTRC: 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6' film reviews
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
38 min ago