Eye On L.A.
Buy a pair, they give a pair to kids in need
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Here in Los Angeles getting the newest styles of everything can become a bit of an addiction, but thanks to an L.A.-based shoe company treating yourself to a new pair of shoes could actually do good around the world.
Santa Monica-based TOMS Shoes is changing lives as well as business attitudes. For every pair of shoes it sells, the company donates a pair to a child in need.
"The business model is so simple," said TOMS Shoes founder and CEO Blake Mycoskie. "For every pair of shoes we sell, we give a pair away."
Mycoskie started his first business at the age of 19. But it was his appearance on the reality TV show "The Amazing Race" that gave him a larger purpose. He says being on the show allowed him to see the world and visit developing countries.
"When we started, this idea was very radical and people couldn't believe that we were going to give away a pair of shoes when we sold a pair," said Mycoskie. "Now more and more businesses are looking to TOMS and seeing that we can build a sustainable for-profit business and help hundreds of thousands of people at the same time."
eye on l.a.
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 47 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Target photo flap creates thigh gap 17 min ago
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Selena Gomez films Adidas ads (Photos)