Eye On L.A.
Buy a pair, they give a pair to kids in need
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Here in Los Angeles getting the newest styles of everything can become a bit of an addiction, but thanks to an L.A.-based shoe company treating yourself to a new pair of shoes could actually do good around the world.
Santa Monica-based TOMS Shoes is changing lives as well as business attitudes. For every pair of shoes it sells, the company donates a pair to a child in need.
"The business model is so simple," said TOMS Shoes founder and CEO Blake Mycoskie. "For every pair of shoes we sell, we give a pair away."
Mycoskie started his first business at the age of 19. But it was his appearance on the reality TV show "The Amazing Race" that gave him a larger purpose. He says being on the show allowed him to see the world and visit developing countries.
"When we started, this idea was very radical and people couldn't believe that we were going to give away a pair of shoes when we sold a pair," said Mycoskie. "Now more and more businesses are looking to TOMS and seeing that we can build a sustainable for-profit business and help hundreds of thousands of people at the same time."
eye on l.a.
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash 12 min ago
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s 12 min ago
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present