Eye On L.A.
Buy a pair, they give a pair to kids in need
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Here in Los Angeles getting the newest styles of everything can become a bit of an addiction, but thanks to an L.A.-based shoe company treating yourself to a new pair of shoes could actually do good around the world.
Santa Monica-based TOMS Shoes is changing lives as well as business attitudes. For every pair of shoes it sells, the company donates a pair to a child in need.
"The business model is so simple," said TOMS Shoes founder and CEO Blake Mycoskie. "For every pair of shoes we sell, we give a pair away."
Mycoskie started his first business at the age of 19. But it was his appearance on the reality TV show "The Amazing Race" that gave him a larger purpose. He says being on the show allowed him to see the world and visit developing countries.
"When we started, this idea was very radical and people couldn't believe that we were going to give away a pair of shoes when we sold a pair," said Mycoskie. "Now more and more businesses are looking to TOMS and seeing that we can build a sustainable for-profit business and help hundreds of thousands of people at the same time."
eye on l.a.
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks 59 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Deliveryman fatally shot in South Los Angeles 6 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 39 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 42 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals 49 min ago
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
1 min ago