In Your Community
NOMINATE SOMEONE: JEFFERSON AWARD
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Nominate someone you know that is doing great things in your community.
Do you have a relative, a friend or a co-worker who is having an impact in your local community? Every day there are good people doing great deeds in our community -- volunteers who are going well beyond their expected duties.
The Jefferson Awards is an award organization founded by Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis in 1972 to encourage and honor people for their contributions through community service. Recently, this year's national honorees received their awards in Washington, D.C.
The nomination process is simple. Fill in the name, address, and telephone number of both your nominee and yourself as the nominator. Write a brief, passionate, compelling story about your friend. Then highlight how the nominee's actions benefit the lives of others and the local community.
A Jefferson Awards honoree will be chosen once a month by ABC7. The honoree will be profiled on Eyewitness News at 6pm. The honoree will also receive a Jefferson Awards Medal, a $1,000 donation to the charity or community organization of their choice, and will be recognized at a special event hosted by ABC7.
A distinguished panel of community leaders will select one local honoree to attend the National Jefferson Awards festivities in Washington, D.C. That honoree will also be eligible for the prestigious Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Award.
Any nomination should address two simple issues:
Outstanding personal acts
Here is an ordinary individual performing outstanding personal acts. This individual stands out for taking extra steps. The individual acts were "outstanding." "unique." "heroic."
Community impact and helping others
Beside the heroic acts of the individual, the individual has positively impacted the community. The acts of this individual helped hundreds of others. Look at the change or improvement that this individual was responsible for while addressing important issues facing the Southern California community.
Volunteers -- not paid professionals
Eligibility includes volunteers who are going well above and beyond their job description.
Nominate someone you know for a Jefferson Award
in your community
- Race for Los Angeles mayor too close to call
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned 41 min ago
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- Trutanich concedes to Feuer for city attorney
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10