In Your Community
Long Beach neighbors rally to assist widow
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- All week long Eyewitness News has been asking you to tell us your stories about "People Helping People." ABC7 wants to know how you or someone you know is lending a hand to people hit hard in these tough times.
A group of neighbors in Long Beach have taken a struggling widow under their wing.
It's been a tough 2009 for one east Long Beach resident. Disabled since childhood, Sharon lost her husband of nearly 20 years in January when he died suddenly of a heart attack.
"Our first thought was Sharon. We need to take care of Sharon, so we came down and did what we had to do help her out," said neighbor Sabine Bryttegard.
"Her house was not made for her to live here by herself," said neighbor Kym Livesay. "Her husband did a lot and she does so much on her own. But certain things were not accessible to her, so we started with little things."
And now Sharon's neighbors are taking on the big things: some much-needed renovations like remodeling the kitchen with new cabinets, lowering countertops, installing a new door and window, painting and planting a new garden -- All in one weekend.
"I'm amazed by their generosity, I'm just amazed," said Sharon.
Neighbor Kim Livesay spearheaded the project. She spread word of what she wanted to do. Calls came pouring in.
"Left and right I was getting envelopes dropped in my mailbox just full of money, anywhere between 10 and 1,000 dollars," said Livesay.
They raised nearly $4,000, and secured enough volunteers to pull off the weekend makeover, making it possible for Sharon to stay in her home.
"There are people here whose jobs are on the line and contractors who, you know, aren't getting the work they need. And yet they are taking their time to do this, and there is nothing I can give them," said Sharon.
"What this says about the people too, is that even in the tough times they are still willing to help somebody who is less fortunate than they might be," said Bryttegard.
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM LOS ANGELES
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
in your community, jovana lara
- Tornado rips through Oklahoma City suburb 24 min ago
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- Laguna Beach sex assault suspect surrenders
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Hollywood High honored for musical theater
- Girl, 10, fatally shot inside NorCal home
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- 2 killed in Turkey hot air balloon crash
- United's 787 Dreamliners back in service
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Aerial views of Oklahoma tornado damage
48 min ago