In Your Community
Group offers free art workshops to needy
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Eyewitness News is trying to do its part in this tough economy with a special series on People Helping People. A nonprofit group is helping people in South Los Angeles and the Skid Row area discover their artistic side and make money at the same time.
Piece by Piece offers free workshops and materials for people to create all kinds of mosaics. From garden pots to light sculptures, the participants use their imagination to make their mosaic masterpieces.
When the pieces are sold, part of the proceeds go to the artist and part to help carry on the program.
"Word has gotten out, we have a program where people can come, learn a skill, everything is free, and make some money," said Sophie Alpert, founder of the program.
The program organizer says the mosaic workshops also help participants relieve stress and express their ideas in a constructive way through art.
If you know someone who does extraordinary things without any expectation of recognition or reward, you have a chance to change that and inspire others to do good for their communities as well. People Helping People: Tell your story
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM LOS ANGELES
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
in your community
- Amber Alert issued for Long Beach boy 21 min ago
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 10 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet 38 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K 47 min ago
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years 52 min ago
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...