In Your Community
Group offers free art workshops to needy
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Eyewitness News is trying to do its part in this tough economy with a special series on People Helping People. A nonprofit group is helping people in South Los Angeles and the Skid Row area discover their artistic side and make money at the same time.
Piece by Piece offers free workshops and materials for people to create all kinds of mosaics. From garden pots to light sculptures, the participants use their imagination to make their mosaic masterpieces.
When the pieces are sold, part of the proceeds go to the artist and part to help carry on the program.
"Word has gotten out, we have a program where people can come, learn a skill, everything is free, and make some money," said Sophie Alpert, founder of the program.
The program organizer says the mosaic workshops also help participants relieve stress and express their ideas in a constructive way through art.
If you know someone who does extraordinary things without any expectation of recognition or reward, you have a chance to change that and inspire others to do good for their communities as well. People Helping People: Tell your story
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM LOS ANGELES
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
in your community
- Race for LA mayor too close to call
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- Trutanich concedes to Feuer for city attorney 24 min ago
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10