In Your Community
Group offers free art workshops to needy
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Eyewitness News is trying to do its part in this tough economy with a special series on People Helping People. A nonprofit group is helping people in South Los Angeles and the Skid Row area discover their artistic side and make money at the same time.
Piece by Piece offers free workshops and materials for people to create all kinds of mosaics. From garden pots to light sculptures, the participants use their imagination to make their mosaic masterpieces.
When the pieces are sold, part of the proceeds go to the artist and part to help carry on the program.
"Word has gotten out, we have a program where people can come, learn a skill, everything is free, and make some money," said Sophie Alpert, founder of the program.
The program organizer says the mosaic workshops also help participants relieve stress and express their ideas in a constructive way through art.
If you know someone who does extraordinary things without any expectation of recognition or reward, you have a chance to change that and inspire others to do good for their communities as well. People Helping People: Tell your story
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM LOS ANGELES
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
in your community
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 43 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery 5 min ago
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis