In Your Community
'ABC7 Listens' visits Watts-Willowbrook
WATTS-WILLOWBROOK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- ABC7's top managers were in Watts-Willowbrook on Wednesday night to host a town hall meeting to hear viewers' concerns about issues in their community and impressions of the station's news coverage.
Eyewitness News anchor Marc Brown moderated the meeting held at the Boys & Girls Club.
Many of the residents expressed pride in their community. Several of those in attendance ran non-profit organizations that work with young people.
"We started out three years ago with one charter school," said James Smith of the YouthBuild Foundation. "Today, we have 15 charter schools. There are young people that are pulling their pants up and getting a high school diploma."
The foreclosure is a big problem. One disabled veteran told of a scam that's forcing his mother out of her house.
Not one participant spoke of violent crime. They wanted ABC7 to get the word out about the good things going on in Watts.
"Watts is a family now," Arturo Ybarra said. "There are no more African Americans, no more Latinos, but only brothers and sisters."
ABC7 heard from many people and got several story ideas that will appear on Eyewitness News.
Are there issues and concerns in your community you would like ABC7 to know about? You can request an ABC7 Listens meeting in your town by e-mailing the station at firstname.lastname@example.org
abc, community activity, in your community, marc brown
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained 30 min ago
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- OC church burglary suspect in custody
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3 34 min ago
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez debuts 'Live It Up' video
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
45 min ago