In Your Community
Stuff-A-Bus Ontario successful at over 7 bus-loads of toys
ONTARIO, Calif. (KABC) -- Here's your chance to make the holidays special for less-fortunate children. Our annual Spark of Love Toy Drive is under way.
Southlanders helped ABC7's resident elf Garth Kemp Stuff-A-Bus full of toys at Mathis Brothers Furniture in Ontario, bringing new, unwrapped toys or sports equipment for children.
The Friday event, which ended at 6:30 p.m., was our first Stuff-A-Bus drive of 2012. The rain didn't put a damper on the generosity of viewers, who stuffed a total of 7 1/4 buses.
Area residents woke up bright and early and brought loads of toys for the cause. The event drew residents of all ages from across the Southland.
Raider Clause, a regular figure at Stuff-A-Bus events every year, came out early to show his support. SoCal Honda, the Ontario Fire and Police departments also turned out, donating carloads of toys and sporting goods to the cause. Our host Mathis Brothers didn't disappoint - they brought a moving truck full of goods. Aetna and Prime Care went above and beyond, donating toys as well as a check for $500.
Students from the Loma Linda Academy came out to show their support, as well as JAKKS Pacific, who brought 18,000 toys. The Rancho Cucamonga Animal Adoption Center also made an appearance, and even brought two Chihuahuas available for adoption - Peanut and Nadine. You can get more information on adopting them, you can visit the Adoption Center's website, www.rcpets.info.
You can also text "ABC7" to 80100 to donate $10 to the Spark of Love Toy Drive. The donation will appear on your mobile phone bill.
For 20 years, ABC7 and firefighters from Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and Ventura counties, along with the Los Angeles City Fire Department, have joined forces to run the Spark of Love Toy Drive. This campaign collects new, unwrapped toys and sports equipment for the under served children in our communities.
Toys collected in the respective counties are distributed locally. Last year alone, Spark of Love collected over 500,000 toys within all five counties and we want to top that total this year, so please help the firefighter's ignite a spark of love in a child's heart.
spark of love toy drive, stuff a bus, garth the elf, benefit, charity, san bernardino county, in your community, garth kemp
- I-5 through Grapevine reopens w/ CHP escorts
- Quick, cold front brings rain, chance of snow
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- 4 killed in OC crash; alcohol, speed involved 5 min ago
- Hawthorne stabbing: 1 killed, probe underway
- Large sinkhole closes Woodland Hills road 43 min ago
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Oxnard home, vehicle hit by multiple gunshots
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Salvation Army bell-ringer breaks record in IE 1 min ago
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Brian the dog returning to 'Family Guy'?