In Your Community
ABC7 Pay It Forward: Recovering addict gives $500 to his mentor
EAST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- When offered the chance to give anyone $500, Maurice Horton of East Los Angeles instantly thought of Robert Anderson as the man he wanted to pay it forward to.
Anderson has been sober for 11 years after four stints in prison for various drug-related crimes. He now runs several sober living facilities around Southern California, giving a place for recovering addicts, like Horton, to call home.
"He takes care of everyone. He likes to make sure that other people are helped," said Horton.
Drugs once also sent Horton to prison. But thanks to Anderson, he says he's sober, going back to college, and now mentoring other addicts. Horton said it would mean a lot for him to give the money to Anderson.
"It would mean a great deal," he said. "It would mean that some of the lessons that he taught me, I learned."
For example, Horton said he learned to give to others. At first, Anderson seemed startled when we surprised him at the center.
"I ran into these guys earlier today and they asked me do I know a person that I think is worthy of paying it forward, and they gave me $500 to give to you to pay it forward," Horton explained to Anderson.
"I don't need it, I'd rather, I can just donate it to charity or something," Anderson said immediately.
Horton explained why he thought of Anderson.
"The way you look out for other people, that made me think of you. So when I had the opportunity, you came to mind," Horton said.
Anderson says we all can learn from the center's success.
"We treat everybody equal. It doesn't matter what the person looks like," said Anderson.
Horton said Anderson saved his life.
"You model yourself after somebody who you admire. So when you admire somebody, you see them doing the right things and doing them in the right way, then you add a little bit of them to you. And that's what it is that I've done," said Horton.
charity, in your community, elex michaelson
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 45 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- Compton big rig crash leaves woman dead 5 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role