Make your own non-toxic cleansers
Earth Day is a perfect time to start making planet-friendly choices. And you can start living a more green life by just making a few simple changes. One change is making your own cleaning products without those toxic chemicals.
Jen Boulden is the co-founder of IdealBite.com, a green Web site devoted to helping people go green one bite at a time. She gave Eyewitness News some tips to make homemade cleaners.
No-rinse all purpose cleaner
1 cup white distilled vinegar
2 cups hot water
Few drops lavender essential oil
Mix the vinegar, hot water and essential oil in a container and shake it up. Use it to clean inside your refrigerator, shower curtains and stove top. It cuts grease, disinfects, kills mold and mildew and you don't have to rinse it.
Soft scrub cleanser
1/2 cup baking soda
Put the baking soda in a bowl and add just enough liquid dish soap so that it looks like frosting. Apply with a sponge to bathroom items like the toilet, sink and bath tub. You can even use it as an oven cleaner when you leave it on overnight.
If you keep your cleaning products simple, you can save money and improve your health by making a few of your own cleaning supplies.
MORE L.A. BREAKING NEWS, WEATHER, TRAFFIC, SPORTS
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || WIDGET
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Castaic-area brush fire nears containment
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- OC church burglary suspect in custody
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez debuts 'Live It Up' video