Nominate someone for a Jefferson Award
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Here at ABC7, we've always felt it important to recognize those of you in our community who volunteer your time and effort to make all of our lives better -- often with no reward. We are proud to announce a new partnership to recognize people in our Southern California community making a difference.
The Jefferson Awards is an award organization founded by Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis in 1972 to encourage and honor people for their contributions through community service. Recently, this year's national honorees received their awards in Washington, D.C.
ABC7 will be selecting one local honoree each month. A distinguished panel of local community leaders will choose one of our honorees to attend the national Jefferson Awards festivities in Washington, D.C., where he or she will be eligible to be chosen for the prestigious Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis Award
Every local honoree will be profiled on Eyewitness News at 6pm and receive a $1,000 donation from ABC7 for their favorite community organization.
The Jefferson Awards have been described as honoring ordinary people who do extraordinary things without expectation of recognition or reward. This is a chance to change that, and perhaps encourage others to do good as well.
We'll be announcing the first recipient next month.
Now, it's up to you. If you would like to nominate someone for a Jefferson Award, we'd love to hear about them.
Any nomination should address two simple issues:
Outstanding personal acts
Here is an ordinary individual performing outstanding personal acts. This individual stands out for taking extra steps. The individual acts were "outstanding." "unique." "heroic."
Community impact and helping others
Beside the heroic acts of the individual, the individual has positively impacted the community. The acts of this individual helped hundreds of others. Look at the change or improvement that this individual was responsible for while addressing important issues facing the community.
Volunteers -- not paid professionals
Eligibility includes volunteers who are going well above and beyond their job description.
public service, jefferson awards
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 36 min ago
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash 42 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 4 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 13 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 57 min ago
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut 25 min ago
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks