Wini Jackson, Jefferson Award winner, selected to represent L.A. in D.C.
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- ABC7 announced on Wednesday the Jefferson Award honoree selected to represent Southern California at the National Jefferson Awards in Washington, D.C.
General Manager Arnold J. Kleiner and other members of ABC7 looked on as Wini Jackson was recognized for her work to enrich the lives of school children.
The Jefferson Awards is an award organization founded by Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis in 1972 to encourage and honor people for their contributions through community service.
Jackson is an advocate who works around the clock for children.
At Christmas, she hosted a Christmas party for underprivileged children. During heavy rains, Jackson worked with Variety Children's Charity to buy coats and shoes for 1,000 children in need.
"If we just could become what we need to be by remembering the most vulnerable, the weakest of us, we would be powerful," Jackson said.
Jackson was selected to attend the National Jefferson Awards festivities in Washington, D.C., on June 21 and will compete for the prestigious Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Award.
Winners who have made outstanding contributions to their community, workplaces and schools through volunteer work and public service are announced on a monthly basis. They receive a $1,000 contribution from ABC7 to give to the charity of their choice.
From the honorees, Jackson was selected by a distinguished panel of community leaders to represent Southern California in Washington D.C.
Councilman Tom La Bonge, who represents the Hollywood Hills, Los Feliz and parts of Silver Lake, and Councilman Dennis Zine, who represents the west San Fernando Valley area, attended the event on Wednesday night to honor the recipients. The councilmen also honored ABC7 for the station's work in the community with events like the Jefferson Awards.
Honorees at Wednesday's reception in Glendale included:
- Robert Bolling
- Dr. Mayer Davidson
(Davidson was not able to attend the ceremony. Elizabeth Forer, CEO of the Venice Family Clinic, accepted the award on his behalf.)
- Greta Hodges
- Jackie Knowles
- Kara Lubin
- Alma Martinez
- Edith Naranjo
- Michael Seril
- Kathy Silverton
- Beth Yale
To read about other people who have been honored, visit the Jefferson Awards home page.
If you have a relative, a friend or a co-worker who is having an impact in your local community, nominate them for a Jefferson Award.
public service, volunteerism, jefferson awards
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Budget deal: Liberals, conservatives grumbling
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Mega Millions jackpot to soar to $400 million 12 min ago
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms 35 min ago
- OTRC: Demi Lovato's cocaine, alcohol confessions