Therapy dogs help kids learn to read
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Reading didn't always come easily for a group of Downey elementary schoolers, and it definitely wasn't always fun.
But through the program called BARK, short for Beach Animals Reading with Kids, they've found new partners who encourage them.
"It's much better to read to a dog, because the dog lays down and listens to you," says Ian Jaoquin.
Josie Gavieres started the program in 2007 with just a couple of therapy dogs at one school. Now, there are 95 teams of dogs and handlers, from Oceanside to Sacramento, in more than 50 schools and libraries.
The program also provides kids with books and teaches them to take care of their pets at home.
"Reading is important for all children, because if they can't read, they can't understand the history information. They can't understand the math problem. You can't get anywhere in life without reading," Gavieres said.
Kids who have trouble reading find themselves in a new environment with a different audience that provides them one thing classmates don't.
"Unconditional love," said Linda Bates, a BARK volunteer. "They're not judging you. They're not going to laugh if the children make a mistake. I've had kids whisper to the dog, 'You're my best friend,' where they might not ever say that to a person. But they're just unconditional, non-judgmental."
BARK will receive a $1,000 contribution from ABC7 to give to the charity of their choice.
The money they were awarded will provide kids with books. For some, the first books they've owned.
public service, volunteerism, jefferson awards, rudabeh shahbazi
- Tornadoes strike Midwest; storms to persist 51 min ago
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay 41 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti meet with LA churchgoers
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family
- 2 FBI agents killed in Va. training accident
- 6.5-mag quake hits coast of Chile; No tsunami 20 min ago
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff 35 min ago
- Yahoo buys Tumblr in $1.1 billion deal 46 min ago
- Intermittent fasting diets: Experts weigh in 4 min ago
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- OTRC: Jennifer Lawrence's accused stalker arrested
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
11 min ago