Cool Kid motivates, mentors young students
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Reaching High Standards is a program founded by Cool Kid Carlton Reed. He has recruited high school students to help achieve his goal to educate and mentor elementary school students.
"Biggest drive is knowing there was someone there for me, knowing that I can do the same, and there's nothing handicapping me from going out there and being that somebody," Carlton said.
Carlton started the program at the elementary school he attended. It is there that a former teacher and mentor can see the development of his student.
"He's organizing high school children in addition to the elementary school children he's mentoring. He's got to operate on two different levels. HIs leadership has shown through it all," said Rocco Myers, Carlton's former teacher.
Carlton covers the importance of academics, but he also knows to meet the challenges of life, his students will need a quality not found in books.
"Motivation. They need motivation to get anywhere. Self motivation, because there's not going to be a lot of support out there all the time," Carlton explained.
Carlton has hopes to expand the program, but still remembers the importance of seeing one child succeed.
"It's a victory. Reminds me why I come every Friday. It's a motivation for myself. There's one, let's see how many more I can do," Carlton said.
Whether furthering his education or that of younger students of his community, our Cool Kid, Carlton Reed is living up to the name of his organization, Reaching High Standards.
community activity, volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released 5 min ago
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate