Cool Kid motivates, mentors young students
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Reaching High Standards is a program founded by Cool Kid Carlton Reed. He has recruited high school students to help achieve his goal to educate and mentor elementary school students.
"Biggest drive is knowing there was someone there for me, knowing that I can do the same, and there's nothing handicapping me from going out there and being that somebody," Carlton said.
Carlton started the program at the elementary school he attended. It is there that a former teacher and mentor can see the development of his student.
"He's organizing high school children in addition to the elementary school children he's mentoring. He's got to operate on two different levels. HIs leadership has shown through it all," said Rocco Myers, Carlton's former teacher.
Carlton covers the importance of academics, but he also knows to meet the challenges of life, his students will need a quality not found in books.
"Motivation. They need motivation to get anywhere. Self motivation, because there's not going to be a lot of support out there all the time," Carlton explained.
Carlton has hopes to expand the program, but still remembers the importance of seeing one child succeed.
"It's a victory. Reminds me why I come every Friday. It's a motivation for myself. There's one, let's see how many more I can do," Carlton said.
Whether furthering his education or that of younger students of his community, our Cool Kid, Carlton Reed is living up to the name of his organization, Reaching High Standards.
community activity, volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Video released in attack of transgender woman
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved 30 min ago
- Torrance man sues over Dorner police shooting
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery
- Zuma Beach bus line launched from Thousand Oaks
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100, force Game 7
- Michael Jackson's personal chef testifies
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy
- 13-year-old leads wild police chase in Iowa
42 min ago
- Nathan Fillion spending summer on big screen
49 min ago