Cool Kid helps younger kids in his community
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Helping children has become a priority for Cool Kid Jason Aftalion. He helps younger kids through the Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters organization as well as through the Cure Children Organization, which he co-founded in 2010.
"They don't have to fall on that stumbling block I [did] a couple of years ago. I could share my experiences and give them advice. And I like to see people do well and do good in life," said Aftalion.
Aftalion makes sure that they are learning important things both in and out of the classroom.
"Before I didn't do so well on my essays, now with his help, I am doing a lot better," said student Collin Yashar.
"He kind of helps me with moral stuff, kind of like lessons in life, and sometimes we can hang out and play some sports," said Gabriel Yashar.
Through his Cure Children Organization, Aftalion sees a chance to expand on his mission to make life better for the next generation.
"Now we're trying to get a bigger community and helping more children at once, and getting more people involved, not just the 25 people involved in the mentoring program," said Aftalion.
The 16-year-old is a very busy student athlete at Milken Community High School, but he takes the time to help for a very simple reason.
"It's just doing good deeds and you should always give back to your community. You know, just giving that extra hand to a child makes a big difference," said Aftalion.
Aftalion sees the importance of young minds and does so much to help them grow. That makes him our Cool Kid.
community activity, volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill