Cool Kid shares her gift of music w/ others
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- At the Sunrise Assisted Living Home, Katie Sitter has found a place where she can share the gift of music.
"Maybe the best way to give of myself is to give something that I really love. So I took theater to see where it would lead me and it led me to Sunrise," she said.
Katie is a junior at Bishop Montgomery High School in Torrance. And while she performs songs written long before she was born, she sees her youth as a positive for her audience.
"Seeing a young person, bringing it to them, I think it helps them relive their youth and relive when they first heard these songs and when they developed the love for that music," said Kaite.
She plays for all kinds of groups - big and small. She enjoys it most when she makes a personal connection with a fellow musician.
"[One man] used to play music for people who sang and stuff. And he just really looked so touched by what I brought to them and it really made me feel like I made a difference," said Katie.
The feelings of appreciation are what motivate Katie to perform for these very special fans.
"I plan to continue it for these next two years that I'm still in high school. And if I come back and they would still love to have me, I will definitely come back during any breaks I have in college," she said.
Katie is reaching across generations with music and caring, and that makes her our Cool Kid.
community activity, volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Tornado hits Oklahoma City suburbs; 51 dead
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca 14 min ago
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- Elephant meat, dead primate seized at LAX
- Laguna Beach sex assault suspect surrenders
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Does your child have oral allergy syndrome?
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10