Cool Kid throws b-day parties for local kids
SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, Calif. (KABC) -- Birthday parties can be wonderful memories in the life of a child. Last year when Cool Kid Kelsey Simonson heard about a young girl who had never had a party of her own she got inspired to do something.
"I've always had them and they're so much fun. So why can't that girl have it? Because she can't afford one. So, I just wanted to give everyone a birthday party," said Kelsey.
To make that happen, the junior at J. Serra Catholic High School founded the club, Caring Cupcakes.
"We decided Caring Cupcakes because we use cupcakes instead of cake, because they're easier for people to eat, and we care about people," she said.
Kelsey and her club work with various community organizations to find needy children and give them their special day. Food, fun and gifts -- it's all part of the experience.
Kelsey recalled one little boy who reminded her about why she does it all, "he just lit up when he opened his presents and it was so cute. I'm so glad I helped you."
Giving back to her community is most important to Kelsey.
"It makes you feel so blessed for how much you have when you see others who don't have as much or anything for that matter. And you want to keep helping them," she said.
It can be a tough world for many kids, but Kelsey Simonson wants to give them at least one special day to remember. That makes her our Cool Kid.
community activity, volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Loot-seeking vandals trash Palmdale church
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Tornadoes sweep across Kansas and Oklahoma
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- Beckham in tears as he bids farewell to Paris
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- Swift to perform at Billboard Music Awards
- OTRC: Jennifer Lawrence's accused stalker arrested
- Powerball: Lone winning ticket sold in FL
12 min ago