Cool Kid throws b-day parties for local kids
SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, Calif. (KABC) -- Birthday parties can be wonderful memories in the life of a child. Last year when Cool Kid Kelsey Simonson heard about a young girl who had never had a party of her own she got inspired to do something.
"I've always had them and they're so much fun. So why can't that girl have it? Because she can't afford one. So, I just wanted to give everyone a birthday party," said Kelsey.
To make that happen, the junior at J. Serra Catholic High School founded the club, Caring Cupcakes.
"We decided Caring Cupcakes because we use cupcakes instead of cake, because they're easier for people to eat, and we care about people," she said.
Kelsey and her club work with various community organizations to find needy children and give them their special day. Food, fun and gifts -- it's all part of the experience.
Kelsey recalled one little boy who reminded her about why she does it all, "he just lit up when he opened his presents and it was so cute. I'm so glad I helped you."
Giving back to her community is most important to Kelsey.
"It makes you feel so blessed for how much you have when you see others who don't have as much or anything for that matter. And you want to keep helping them," she said.
It can be a tough world for many kids, but Kelsey Simonson wants to give them at least one special day to remember. That makes her our Cool Kid.
community activity, volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- Bear roams around Shadow Hills neighborhood
- LA city attorney race: Mike Feuer wins
- Ron Galperin wins LA city controller race
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- Sleep remedies for a better night's rest 12 min ago
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10
- 'Captain Kangaroo' treasures now on sale
13 min ago