Cool Kid helps to open young minds through reading
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Cool Kid Max Levinson organizes events to get free books for kids at the West Valley Boys and Girls Club.
"They run to the book, they grab it, you know that they've been wanting that book for a long time. And that's really what's best about it," said Max.
The junior at Calabasas High School founded CHS Cares. He wants to make sure these kids feel special and important.
"That's where I feel a lot of satisfaction because it's obvious that they might not get what they want all the time, so to have that day where they kind of get to choose the book that they want, I think it's cool for them," he said.
In addition to being a day of fun, Max sees this as a way to address the serious problem of childhood literacy.
"There are kids that should be reading at a third grade level that are still reading at a kindergarten level. And that's what kind of drives you, that's not where we want our society going," he said.
The kids get books for themselves and another book for someone they love.
"So they get their book and they get to give a gift to their brother or sister that night. It just kind of is building a library at their house where they really get to read, while as before they never had that opportunity," said Max.
Reading can open the world to eager young minds, and Cool Kid Max Levinson is giving them the key.
community activity, volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 9 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery 54 min ago
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
44 min ago