'Cool Kid' keeps cool head, rescues drowning swimmer
CARSON, Calif. (KABC) -- This week's "Cool Kid," Derrell Carey, is a true life-saver.
It can happen so quickly: Kids are having fun in the pool when things take a dangerous turn.
"I was just swimming and as I was going all the way down, and that's all I remember -- swimming," said Dior Denson.
When young Dior lost consciousness, Derrell Carey pulled him from the water.
"I just did it. I felt like it was the thing to do," said Derrell.
In a moment's time, Derrell couldn't really think. He just had to react.
"Seeing somebody dying in front of you is terrifying," said Derrell. "That's why -- I picked him up for a reason."
Mikeeda Sansberry is Dior's mother. She sees Derrell as her son's hero.
"I'm just so grateful that he didn't panic, and that he knew exactly what to do at the time of distress," said Mikeeda.
Acting quickly and with determination, Cool Kid Derrell Carey is literally a lifesaver.
community activity, volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Hollywood burglary suspects caught on camera
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- East LA coach charged with molesting 2 teens
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Yellowstone supervolcano bigger than thought
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology 13 min ago
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut