Cool Kid takes 'scout's honor' to heart
TUSTIN, Calif. (KABC) -- This week's Cool Kid takes "scout's honor" to heart. He personifies scouting ideals like leadership and community involvement to help other kids.
With over 130 merit badges, Robert Nelsen is an extremely accomplished Eagle Scout. He wants to be an example for younger scouts to strive for more.
"That's the main goal, to help others so they can become better people throughout their lives. It's a joy, it's real fun," said Robert.
In one of his many community projects, Robert recycles to collect money for a cause close to his heart. His project starts when a high school football game ends.
"After the game, we go over and we sweep for bottles. And the money for this will be used towards Special Olympics at Tustin High School or special education here at Tustin High School," he said.
Early in life, Robert had some speech issues. His experience back then inspires him now to reach out and also influence others.
"A lot of people helped me, so I wanted to give back and be a role model for the younger kids," said Robert.
More than lending a hand, Robert wants to see his work affect generation after generation.
"If I help them, then maybe they have a chance when they get older, they can help someone. So then we can help our world become better in the future," he said.
Community involvement, leadership and inspiration make Robert Nelsen our Cool Kid.
community activity, volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'