Cool Kid delivers meals, spreads good will
RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- This week's "Cool Kid" saw a need among families of sick children. So he sprang into action without thinking twice. His high school club will reach far beyond its campus.
The Ronald McDonald House is a place for families to stay while their children undergo serious medical care. Steven Holcomb has formed a club to provide those families with a little extra help.
"The only thing they want to focus on is their child, who's getting treatment. So we make home-cooked meal so that just for a little bit of time, they can take a brief break and relax for a little bit," says Steven.
Whether it's cooking and delivering meals or other projects, Steven is a student involved in a variety of activities. They all share a common goal.
"He wants to make the world a better place and do what he can," says John Remmell, one of Steven's teachers. "He's such a giving person. It's just natural to him to want to give back. He sees a problem, he wants to fix it."
Steven sees his work as a way to feed some and inspire others.
"Actually a few students who have come with me to deliver the meal have said they want to volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House and want to learn more about it," says Steven. "That's my ultimate goal. I want to spread the word."
His Ronald McDonald House club has been a great high school experience. But Steven says it will be part of his plans after graduation as well.
"I am going to college in a few months actually and I want to go somewhere where I can continue to volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House," says Steven.
At a most stressful time, Steven Holcomb brings a little bit of relief to a family in need. That makes him our Cool Kid.
community activity, volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 35 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls 24 min ago
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts