Blind 'Cool Kid' rides horses competitively
ACTON, Calif. (KABC) -- This week's "Cool Kid" faces his challenges head on. And he's inspiring others in the process.
Taylor Howell lost his eyesight to cancer at a young age. But he has not let that stop him from doing anything, including competitive horse-riding.
"People tell me: 'You can't do this.' You tell me I can't do it and I'm going to go do it just to show you that I can," says Taylor.
Taylor has words of advice for others who face their own challenges.
"You might not do it the same way that somebody that has sight or that has hearing, or whatever the case may be. You might not do it the same way, but there's ways around everything," says Taylor.
Taylor has played football and been part of the baseball team at Vasquez High School. The sports department recognizes this student's exceptional tenacity.
"He's just a very fine young man, and he really is driven," says Charleen Klein, an athletic assistant at the school. "And that perseverance gets him where he wants to be."
No matter the activity, Taylor shows his undying spirit.
"It might be tough the first couple of times that I do it, but it gets easier and easier," says Taylor. "You know, practice makes perfect."
Determination and inspiration make Taylor Howell our Cool Kid.
cool kids, danny romero
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills 51 min ago
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA hospital
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park 15 min ago
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Newtown priest speaks out on shooting 38 min ago
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
26 min ago