Cool Kid Kimmi Levin helps OC homeless w/ music education
LAS FLORES, Calif. (KABC) -- This week's Cool Kid helps homeless children in Orange County build self confidence through music lessons.
Project Hope Alliance provides schooling for homeless children in Orange County. Part of that education is music - that's where accomplished musician Kimmi Levin comes in.
"It's kind of like my responsibility. If I can make the time, and I have something that I can give back, why shouldn't I?" the 17-year-old said.
Kimmi gives these kids music lessons, but as one little girl reminded her, Kimmi also gives them much needed self confidence.
"She was just smiling at me the whole time and saying, 'Is this right? Is this right?' She was so cute, and I love that sense of accomplishment that you can give any kid," Kimmi said.
The music program is funded entirely by donations. So, in addition to giving violin and cello lessons, Kimmi decided to start the Project Hope Music Club at Tesoro High School to raise funds to keep the program going.
"She puts her passion for music and her deep compassion for these very needy children together. It's a winning combination," said Pam Allison, executive director of Project Hope.
Kimmi puts in a lot of time teaching the kids, and she says the rewards are often unspoken.
"I love when you're teaching somebody how to do something, and then it clicks, and you see their eyes light up and you see them get excited. It's wonderful," Kimmi said.
Cool Kid Kimmi Levin not only gives kids the gift of music, she also teaches bigger life lessons as well.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing 29 min ago
- Castaic-area brush fire nears containment
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- OC church burglary suspect in custody
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez debuts 'Live It Up' video