Cool Kid Morgan Berschauer fights teen dating abuse
LAGUNA HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- Teen dating abuse is a bigger problem than many people realize. Now a local teen is stepping up efforts to raise awareness about this important issue.
Laura's House was started as a way to deal with the effects of domestic violence. At Laguna Hills High School, Morgan Berschauer has teamed with Laura's House to start a club to encourage dialogue and raise awareness about teen dating abuse.
"It's a hard thing to talk about because people don't want to talk about it. And it's important that we do. If you don't talk about it, you can't do anything to fix it," said Morgan.
It took a while, but Morgan recognized that she herself was involved in an abusive relationship. With that knowledge, Morgan was able to help others with their situations.
"Then I started seeing little things that happened to me happening to my friends and happening to other people at my school, and I realized it was bigger than just me," said Morgan.
She's even taken up her cause with the California Legislature. Morgan went to Sacramento to support Assembly Bill 1880.
"It's going to require middle and high schools to add to their school safety plans, to educate not only their students, but also their faculty on teen dating violence. To know what to look for and how to stop it and what to do," said Morgan.
The 18-year-old senior has encountered quite a few obstacles, but that only seems to make her stronger.
"Even if I have to tell my story a million times, as much as it hurts, if it helps one person that's all I care about," said Morgan.
Teen dating abuse is a reality for many, but Cool Kid Morgan Berschauer hopes her efforts are making a difference.
volunteerism, california state assembly, cool kids, danny romero
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student 43 min ago
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)