Cool Kid Morgan Berschauer fights teen dating abuse
LAGUNA HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- Teen dating abuse is a bigger problem than many people realize. Now a local teen is stepping up efforts to raise awareness about this important issue.
Laura's House was started as a way to deal with the effects of domestic violence. At Laguna Hills High School, Morgan Berschauer has teamed with Laura's House to start a club to encourage dialogue and raise awareness about teen dating abuse.
"It's a hard thing to talk about because people don't want to talk about it. And it's important that we do. If you don't talk about it, you can't do anything to fix it," said Morgan.
It took a while, but Morgan recognized that she herself was involved in an abusive relationship. With that knowledge, Morgan was able to help others with their situations.
"Then I started seeing little things that happened to me happening to my friends and happening to other people at my school, and I realized it was bigger than just me," said Morgan.
She's even taken up her cause with the California Legislature. Morgan went to Sacramento to support Assembly Bill 1880.
"It's going to require middle and high schools to add to their school safety plans, to educate not only their students, but also their faculty on teen dating violence. To know what to look for and how to stop it and what to do," said Morgan.
The 18-year-old senior has encountered quite a few obstacles, but that only seems to make her stronger.
"Even if I have to tell my story a million times, as much as it hurts, if it helps one person that's all I care about," said Morgan.
Teen dating abuse is a reality for many, but Cool Kid Morgan Berschauer hopes her efforts are making a difference.
volunteerism, california state assembly, cool kids, danny romero
- Tornado hits Oklahoma City suburbs; 51 dead 21 min ago
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Elephant meat, dead primate seized at LAX
- Laguna Beach sex assault suspect surrenders
- Fire near Frazier Park 90 percent contained
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- 2 killed in Turkey hot air balloon crash
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74 25 min ago
- OTRC: Seth MacFarlane 'unable' to host Oscars again
- Monstrous tornado touches down in Oklahoma
21 min ago