Cool Kid Thomas Check helps students embrace learning
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Cool Kid Thomas Check founded Students for Education, an organization that tutors and helps elementary school children.
"The education a child receives in their earliest years will basically determine their work habits and success in later grades," Check said.
While he works with many students, Check says he found it especially rewarding when one of the kids made a change for the better.
"I can see that he's actually started to focus in more and he really does try," Check said. "And I know it's tough for him sometimes. But I'm willing to work with him because I know he's willing to learn."
The Mater Dei High School senior is working with a handful of schools now, but he has plans to reach even more eager students.
"We could expand our elementary school program, expand it to other schools, other high schools. Get a lot more people involved," Check said.
Check and his group tutor the kids on the usual subjects, but there is one thing he wants them to learn more than anything else.
"An approach to teaching and learning where they're not afraid of it," he said. "It's a challenge. They're enthusiastic to learn."
Young minds need guidance to reach their potential. Cool Kid Thomas Check is someone who makes sure that becomes a reality.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget deal
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- $50K reward announced in murder of 7-year-old
- Man burns to death, may have been stealing gas
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- SD man charged in 'revenge porn' site case
- Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- abcnews: Alleged cow abuse at DiGiorno supplier
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- Gabor Xmas party to go on amid spending fight
- OTRC: Kate Winslet, Ned RocknRoll welcome baby