Cool Kid raises awareness of African water issues
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- This week's Cool Kid doesn't take life's basic necessities for granted. She wants to make sure we know how lucky we are.
Kevin Kilroy has seen pictures and heard stories about how dire the situation is for the drought in Africa.
"You can't have food, you can't grow food without water. You can't have good sanitation without water, you can't really have life without water," said Kevin Kilroy.
In remote villages it is usually young girls who must travel great distances on foot to find and retrieve water. That image made it relatable to Kevin.
"A girl in Africa my age can't even go to school because she has to go get water for her family that might even kill them," said Kevin. "I just thought that was ironic, not fair, shouldn't even be possible."
Kevin teamed with the organization Wells Bring Hope to raise money to build water wells. Another objective: Spreading the word about the issue.
"I need to tell people about this," said Kevin. "I need to make people aware of what's going on. And then all the ongoing support kind of added up to a well being drilled."
Kevin is a freshman at Marymount High School, but already sees her future including more work with this worldwide issue.
"Maybe intern in an organization that has something to do with water, continue to spread awareness about the importance of water." said Kevin.
Kevin Kilroy is a young lady who is truly changing the lives of people around the world. That makes her our Cool Kid.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 28 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 44 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway 24 min ago
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters 39 min ago
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2