Cool Kid Kayla White seeks future in medicine
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- She's an athlete, an activist and a volunteer. This week's Cool Kid Kayla White works hard, especially when it comes to helping others. Not only is her dedication admirable, it's driving her to set some lifelong goals.
Dana Hills High School senior Kayla White volunteers at Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center in Mission Viejo. She has helped patients check into the hospital, helped out while they are there, and has even been able to watch medical procedures. All of that has led her to make a major life decision.
"That's really the point when I realized I really want to be involved in the medical field," said Kayla. "I like this stuff, I can deal with this stuff. It's what I want to do with my life."
Kayla is also a track athlete, and she's overcome many hurdles in that field. She discovered she had a condition known as vocal cord dysfunction (VCD), which hindered her breathing while running. Working with her allergist, Kayla put together a brochure to help others dealing with the rare disorder.
"It outlines what is VCD, all the different triggers and breathing exercises that you can do to help manage it," said Kayla.
"She does everything well," said guidance counselor Audra Lee. "She's very diverse. She's an asset to the school and our community, and to the middle schools, to her clubs, to her cross-country team. She's awesome."
But it is her time at the hospital that has pointed her toward a career in medicine.
"Go to a UC med school afterwards and pursue my dream of either becoming an obstetrician or a pediatrician, allergist, some sort of clinical work," said Kayla.
Kayla White has already given so much to her community, and it seems our Cool Kid has much more ahead.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Oklahoma tornado: Recovery effort under way 19 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 47 min ago
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing 19 min ago
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10
- Pet of the week: 2-month-old Chihuahua-mix
7 min ago