Cool Kid shares love of all things aviation
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- This week's Cool Kid has his eyes on the skies. His enthusiasm about aviation is contagious.
Sean Simmerman is fascinated with flight. He channels that passion into his volunteer work at the Lyon Air Museum in Santa Ana. In addition to statistics about wing spans and engines, he fills in people on some history too.
"The part that I like coming down here and telling people about aviation and history is just so people learn the events that happened in the past," says Sean.
The freshman at El Toro High School might seem to be a bit young, but it is quite evident that he knows his stuff.
"Initially they're like, 'He's a kid, what's he going to tell us?'" says Mark Foster, Lyon Air Museum president. "But once he starts talking, I think they forget that he is younger and they just listen to him because he's got the knowledge."
Sean's career plans are pointing him toward choosing a college that will put him in the skies.
"Something with a good aviation program that can get me onto the road to being a commercial airline pilot or a corporate airline pilot," Sean says.
While Sean shares his love of all things aviation, he hopes he inspires too.
"I just want people to know the experience and the joy that I have flying," says Sean. "And maybe that will kind of want them to go off and pursue their own joy of flying or their own joy of something that they would like to do."
He helps tell our nation's history in the air and brings the stories of aviation heroes to life. And that's why Sean Simmerman is our Cool Kid.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery 20 min ago
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 53 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Los Angeles Mission serves Good Friday meals
42 min ago