Cool Kid knits to comfort, warm teens with cancer
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- This week's Cool Kid is making a big difference in her community. You could say she's "hooked" on helping out. Kai George has a warm spirit and a giving heart that's providing support to some peers who need it the most.
Kai George loves working on projects like knitting and crocheting. But instead of making things for herself, she puts her talents to work for others, making scarves, blankets and purses for people in need.
"It just feels good to know that you're spending so much time and putting so much love into something that you've made and to just give it to someone who needs it more than you do," says Kai.
Kai is a senior at Saint Mary's Academy in Inglewood. It was there that she founded the club Threads. The girls in the club got together and decided to work on something that would help other teens who were battling against cancer. So they concentrated their knitting skills into making hats for them.
"Some of them, when they lose their hair, they don't feel as confident, they don't feel as good about themselves," says Kai. "So know that you have other teenagers helping you and other teenagers trying to reach out to you and say that 'It's OK, I know how you're feeling and we want to do anything we can to help.'"
People who know her say that Kai's a person who matches drive with a caring heart.
"She pours 100 percent of herself into what she does as well, which I think just complements her generous spirit," says teacher Lynna Landry.
No matter where her future takes her, Kai says she'll continue to give back to the community in some way.
"I want to major in fashion, in fashion design," says Kai. "After that, have my own business and some of the proceeds from my business will go to helping people in need who need it the most."
Kai George has found a way to give warmth and comfort to those who need it, and that makes her our Cool Kid.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk 35 min ago
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD 34 min ago
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 58 min ago
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Oscar Isaac can relate to 'Llewyn Davis'
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate