Cool Kid spreads word to help others breathe easier
MURRIETA, Calif. (KABC) -- This week's Cool Kid is helping people in his community breathe easier while battling his own challenges.
For most of his young life, Carey Poindexter has had to deal with asthma. And over the years he's found many others out there who are affected with it as well.
"On average, a child misses about 26 days of school because of their asthma," said Carey. "And asthma affects almost 25 million people, all ages and races."
All of that moved Carey to start his Fight For Air Campaign.
"The whole campaign is really to help other people who suffer from lung disease," said Carey. "Because I have it myself and no one should have to fight for air."
With speaking engagements, concerts and other public events, Carey has clearly defined his goals.
"The main three things that I do is bringing awareness, educate people and fundraising," said Carey.
All this would be a huge job for anyone. But this 13-year-old does all this, and continues to deal with his own lifelong "challenges."
"I just really keep it moving," said Carey. "You know, my motto is 'Just because I have asthma, I just don't let it get me down.'"
Cool Kid Carey Poindexter is on a campaign to help others breathe easier and lessen the daily struggles for those living with asthma.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 24 min ago
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute 21 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 26 min ago