Cool Kid is a football star helping US soldiers
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Oak Hills High School standout football player Brett Kokesh started the group Student Athletes Helping Our Warriors. His goal is to help Marines and soldiers all fighting for our country from every branch of the armed forces.
"We visit veteran hospitals and organize fund raisers and we send care packages over to soldiers in the Middle East and overseas," said Kokesh.
When his own uncle joined the Marine Corps, Kokesh was inspired to do something for the men and women who are serving our country.
"When he went overseas the first time, we started collecting bottles. Then we started using that money and using it to send care packages over to those troops," said Kokesh.
At the hospitals or in their homes, Kokesh and his volunteers do whatever they can to help those who have sacrificed so much.
"Some of them have post traumatic stress disorder, some of them have missing limbs. Some of them can't walk, they can't think straight. So, we just want to help as much as we can around the house and around their daily life," he said.
Kokesh says during the time he's spent with the veterans, he has really learned about the true definition of serving our country.
"They tell us about these stories and we really feel it in the heart. They really wanted to help us, protecting our freedom and our rights," said Kokesh.
Cool Kid Brett Kokesh may be a football hero, but he is helping the true heroes of America.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- LA earthquake: 4.4-mag. quake shakes SoCal 30 min ago
- Ex-couple found guilty in East LA bank robbery 1 min ago
- IE teen gets 18 months in 'sextortion' plot
- Crimea declares independence; West hits back
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Burbank couple rescues child with mattress
- Video: Stranded man rescued from Castaic crash
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- Malaysian plane search expands further
- abcnews: Woman says Scientology tore apart her family
- SEALs take oil tanker from Libyan rebels
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- OTRC: 'The Walking Dead' recap: Season 4, ep 14