Cool Kid starts free after-school tutoring program
RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif. (KABC) -- Cool Kid Sarah Gissinger saw that elementary school students were not getting that extra help that many of them needed.
"I wanted to find a way for us to reach out to our community and to serve that need for tutoring younger students," said Sarah.
Sarah worked with the Rancho Cucamonga Resource Center and students from her high school and started Lessons Learned. It's a free after-school tutoring program with the goal of breaking things down to make difficult subjects easy to understand.
"Just to see that moment when their face kind of goes, 'Oh OK, I get it now,' That's a really amazing moment to see," Sarah said.
Sarah is busy with student government and school organizations, but she makes time to balance everything and still be there for the kids who need her.
"It takes a lot for a student to manage the time with everything that she's involved in at school," said DR. Virginia Kelsen, Sarah's principal. "She maintains top grades. She's here because she wants to give back."
Right now, Sarah is a 17-year-old senior at Rancho Cucamonga High School. But her future and college plans will still include helping kids learn.
"I want to major in political science, so hopefully go into that whole government field. And also try to improve education is what I'm really, really passionate about," Sarah said.
Sarah Gissinger deeply believes in the power of knowledge, and she is doing so much to make sure all children have that power.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years 51 min ago
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video