Cool Kid offers kids comfort at LAPD station
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Bryanne Carter volunteers at the LAPD Harbor Division. For various reasons out of their control, children find themselves separated from their parents there. Bryanne felt the need to supply these kids with things to make them comfortable.
"I got to meet all these different children and all the hardships that they've gone through, and they come with absolutely nothing but the clothes on their backs," she said. "I wanted to help them in the best way that I possibly could."
The children are put in a small room at the police department, and it can be a scary experience for them. Bryanne has made it her mission to make that room a better place. Being part of a household that takes in foster children gave Bryanne a strong connection to these kids.
"I wanted to make their lives a little bit easier, and I serve the community in other ways, and I wanted to serve the community in a different way that I already knew about," she said.
Toys, snacks and clothes help to make the time there a little easier for children. But Bryanne wanted another important item added to the surroundings.
"I like all the stuffed animals because it has to do with all the comfort and things, but I also like the books because I'm a reader, and I've always liked reading. And I want to be able to encourage other people, younger than me, to read," she said.
Bryanne is a busy senior at St. Anthony High School in Long Beach. But she makes time for these kids because she says it enriches her life.
"It really warmed my heart. It made me feel like a better person to be able to help all these different children who are taken into protective custody who are under the age of 12," she said.
When life gets scary and unsure for children, our Cool Kid Bryanne Carter is there to make a tough time a little easier to take.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- London theater partial collapse; 80+ hurt 20 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected 17 min ago
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning 6 min ago
- 14 hospitalized in Riverside County bus crash 11 min ago
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston: I have Lupus Myelitis