Cool Kid undertakes environmental stewardship
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- This week's Cool Kid is a budding environmentalist. Shannon Gillespie McComb has made it her mission to raise awareness about the largest wetland in Southern California. Shannon is a young lady who has a passion for preserving her surroundings.
"I just love being outside," says Shannon. "I'm a swimmer. I play water polo. I teach sailing. I'm outside. I'm in the water and I feel a deep connection to the environment."
When Shannon learned that the largest coastal wetland in Southern California was in danger, she made it her mission to let the public know the importance of Ormond Beach.
"First of all it's a habitat to all the birds. Second of all, it is a buffer," says Shannon. "So when sea level rise happens, it will be a buffer to the community around it, so that the sea level rise won't affect the community as much."
All her volunteer work in the name of conservation and preservation has Shannon pointed toward a career that keeps her involved.
"I've seen the EDC, the Environmental Defense Center, and I love environmental attorneys," says Shannon. "And I love the work they do. And I would someday aspire to do that."
A big part of Shannon's work is educating people on the reason for her efforts.
"It's our responsibility to protect, preserve and restore the environment that we have around it. Because it provides oxygen for us, it's a symbiotic relationship," says Shannon.
Shannon Gillespie McComb is a Cool Kid who sees how the care of our planet is of utmost importance.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- LB mayoral candidate mailer wrongly shows SD
- Playa del Rey home break-in caught on camera
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry