ABC7 Cool Kid Cesar Olvera shows passion for military
SAN PEDRO, Calif. (KABC) -- Cool Kid Cesar Olvera moved to the United States from Mexico when he was a young boy. A keen interest in the military brought him to a leadership role with San Pedro High School's Junior ROTC, and he's a volunteer on the USS Iowa.
"I wanted to be part of celebrating the American spirit. Being involved in history, especially the USS Iowa where FDR, President Reagan and George H.W. Bush were," he said.
Cesar is fascinated with the ship and wants to share his enthusiasm with all who come aboard.
"They should feel what is was like back then. For them to realize, during World War II, there were up to 3,000 men on board," he said.
Whether talking to guests or keeping the vessel in ship shape, Cesar shows the best of himself and the USS Iowa.
"Cesar is one of those young kids that we know the ship will be in great hands as a member of our current crew. We know that, years from now, he will be one of those leaders on board the ship that will be helping new people come on," said Craig Post, attractions director of the ship.
Cesar's positive attitude and drive to succeed is something he shares with his fellow ROTC cadets.
"If you fail, you're not going to get anywhere in life," Cesar said. "So you have to step up your game and keep it up. Otherwise, you'll just flunk classes and you're not going to do anything with your life."
Despite some challenges he's had to face, like learning a new language and new customs, Cesar Olvera has accomplished a lot in his young life. This Cool Kid sets a great example for all.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95 33 min ago
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Marc Brown describes meeting Nelson Mandela
43 min ago