ABC7 Cool Kid Cesar Olvera shows passion for military
SAN PEDRO, Calif. (KABC) -- Cool Kid Cesar Olvera moved to the United States from Mexico when he was a young boy. A keen interest in the military brought him to a leadership role with San Pedro High School's Junior ROTC, and he's a volunteer on the USS Iowa.
"I wanted to be part of celebrating the American spirit. Being involved in history, especially the USS Iowa where FDR, President Reagan and George H.W. Bush were," he said.
Cesar is fascinated with the ship and wants to share his enthusiasm with all who come aboard.
"They should feel what is was like back then. For them to realize, during World War II, there were up to 3,000 men on board," he said.
Whether talking to guests or keeping the vessel in ship shape, Cesar shows the best of himself and the USS Iowa.
"Cesar is one of those young kids that we know the ship will be in great hands as a member of our current crew. We know that, years from now, he will be one of those leaders on board the ship that will be helping new people come on," said Craig Post, attractions director of the ship.
Cesar's positive attitude and drive to succeed is something he shares with his fellow ROTC cadets.
"If you fail, you're not going to get anywhere in life," Cesar said. "So you have to step up your game and keep it up. Otherwise, you'll just flunk classes and you're not going to do anything with your life."
Despite some challenges he's had to face, like learning a new language and new customs, Cesar Olvera has accomplished a lot in his young life. This Cool Kid sets a great example for all.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Memorial Day: More travelers hitting the road
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens 23 min ago
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- Disneyland holding Monstrous 'All-Nighter' 34 min ago
- 405 North crash, fuel spill snarls traffic
- Fatal S. LA drive-by shooting suspects sought 23 min ago
- Deputies shoot, killed armed man in Compton
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo. 43 min ago
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect 16 min ago
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- Kings beat Sharks 3-0, take series lead 3-2
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge 11 min ago
- OTRC: 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6' film reviews
- 'Epic, 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast 6' in theaters
16 min ago