Cool Kid shines despite tough difficulties, helps others
SAN FERNANDO, Calif. (KABC) -- Vanessa De La Torre is a leader. She's the student body president at the Cesar E. Chavez Learning Academies and someone who's ready to help for anyone who reaches out.
"The best part is when I see them succeed in it because that brings happiness to me that I've done well to bring them success," De La Torre said.
Vanessa achieved her success in spite of dealing with some tough circumstances at home. She's taken those difficulties and channeled them in a positive way with a mission to reach out to others who are going through similar situations.
"For those who don't know and for those who struggled with parents being separated or not having a support system there, De La Torre said, "that's my goal for the future. Hopefully in five years, I'll have my own non profit in the valley."
Students as well as faculty recognize the unique young woman they have in Vanessa. "When you first meet her, you think she's a little shy and she's just any other typical girl," ASB Advisor Rebecca Guevara said, "but she's not. She's caring and she gives back."
In a community that's faced its share of challenges, Vanessa's efforts have been part of the solution to make things better.
"If we work together to make the community better, we'll have more good success stories and more students and parents and anybody else who wants to succeed, they'll succeed," De La Torre said.
Cool Kid Vanessa De La Torre is leading the student body to brighter days and is certainly ready to do the same for her community and beyond.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour