Cool Kid motivated toward career in medicine
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- This week's Cool Kid is getting hands-on experience for the career he's set his sights on. His community is already benefiting.
Esaul Parra has his sights set on a career in medicine. One early influence? His mother, who was studying to be a nurse.
"I was just looking at the stuff. She had a dissecting diagram. I was just curious, 'How do you do that?'" said Esaul Parra.
To help him realize his future goals, Esaul volunteers alongside a doctor as he treats his patients. Esaul sees how the patients need emotional support as well as medical advice.
"They're scared. They might have diabetes, they might develop cancer. They might have something. So I try not to get them worried," said Esaul.
He certainly cares for the adult patients he meets, but seeing the younger patients has given him more motivation toward his medical career.
"Kids at that age, like three, have leukemia. It doesn't feel right. And I believe I can do something about it," said Esaul.
His plan to "do something" begins with his college plans at UCLA.
"I want to do pre-med. Oncologist is really my goal," said Esaul.
Esaul Parra is a young man with the determination and the heart to care for patients young and old.
volunteerism, cool kids, danny romero
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon 4 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 27 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon 15 min ago
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend 53 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker 7 min ago
- New technology monitors pet fitness
38 min ago