Cool Kid firefighting cadet motivated to help community
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Lots of kids dream of being firefighters when they grow up. This week's Cool Kid is working to make it happen. He's a cadet with the Los Angeles Fire Department.
When he was a little boy, Miles Burton loved fire engines and wanted to be a firefighter. But now, as a cadet with LAFD, his motivation has changed.
"Back then, there's just, 'Oh, look at the engine.' But now, as I got older, I like helping people. It's a good career," says Miles.
Miles knows it's going to take a lot of work to be a firefighter. And adults around him can see he's up to the task.
"He has that certain quality about him where he comes in the fire station willing to learn," says firefighter Julio Churchwell. "He's very eager to learn and that's what he does."
Miles certainly puts in the effort, but beyond that, he truly cares about those in his community.
"If they need help, I like being there for that person. If somebody needs help, I'm not going to sit there and watch them just cry for help. I'm actually going to go there and help them out," says Miles.
There's a lot of work and learning ahead of him. But for Miles, there is no obstacle too big standing in his way of getting his dream job.
"I want to be a firefighter," says Miles. "I'm not going to give up. I've been thinking about being a firefighter for this long. I'm not going to let this one challenge overcome me."
Firefighters are people who help and respond when people need it most. And Miles Burton is a Cool Kid who is on his way to be one of them.
los angeles city fire department, cool kids, danny romero
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Green cars for rent at niche LA-based company 36 min ago
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report