Stress less and save with apps
Looking to save on gifts? Let your smartphone guide the way to savings this season.
When it comes to making your holiday shopping a little easier, there are a number of apps to put your mind at ease for both the iPhone, Android and Windows Phone platforms. But which ones to choose? Here are a few recommendations:
- RetailMeNot (for iPhone and Android): An extension of RetailMeNot.com, the app allows users to peruse coupons by searching either stores or category listings. Using geofencing technology, the app will send in-store coupons for a particular store once a user is within a certain radius of that store. Since being released earlier this year, the app already has more than 1.7 million downloads on both platforms.
- SnipSnap (iPhone, but Android version is coming soon): The app allows you to scan, save and redeem paper coupons. It also provides a wide variety of coupons at major retailers. Users can also use the "Discover" tab to see the activity stream of every coupon currently being snipped, thereby allowing access to a database of more than two million coupons.
- El Gifto (iPhone, Android): Not quite sure what to get someone for the holidays? This app comes to the rescue by giving personalized gift recommendations based on a number of variables, including the receiver's age, gender, personality, interests, occasion -- and of course, your price range.
- eBay's Red Laser (iPhone, Android, Windows): With more than 22 million downloads, this app is one of the hottest when it comes to comparing prices, by scanning barcodes to tell where a particular item is the cheapest. What sets it apart from other barcode apps is that it has the ability to store loyalty cards so you don't have to ever carry them with you.
- Shopkick (iPhone, Android): This is a shopping rewards app where users earn "kicks" or points by walking into certain stores (similar to how Foursquare works) such as Target, Macy's, Best Buy and Old Navy. The points can then be traded in for discounts at those stores -- or if there enough kicks, can purchase entire items.
- Mandela honored by world, South Africans 6 min ago
- South El Monte hospital fire triggers evacs
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested 6 min ago
- 50-acre brush fire erupts near Moorpark
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- Hesperia house fire started in gas fireplace
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Mary Barra becomes 1st female CEO of GM
- abcnews: Senate extends ban on plastic guns
- How healthy is flavoring up your water?
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman Trophy 26 min ago
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus is MTV's Artist of the Year 46 min ago