ABC7 Traffic Center
Carmageddon: public transit may be the way to go
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Just the thought of it is enough to make drivers shutter.
Carmageddon is on its way. The San Diego (405) Freeway will close down for construction from the 10 to the 101 freeways for 53 hours the weekend of July 15-18.
As the countdown continues, officials at Metropolitan Transportation Authority and Metrolink are trying to get the word out of services being provided to help people get around the disaster zone.
Metro is adding 61 buses to eight key bus lines.
"If you're living in the San Fernando Valley, you can take the Orange Line for free and connect with the Red Line and the Purple Line for free to get into Los Angeles," said Dave Sotero of the MTA. "Then we have additional bus services that will allow you to get from the subway to West L.A. more easily as well."
Metrolink is also beefing up services. It will even operate its Ventura County Line, which typically doesn't offer weekend service.
"We're adding service on the Ventura County Line and also the Antelope Valley Line," said Sherita Offelt of Metrolink. "We'll also have service on the San Bernardino Line, Orange County Line and Inland Empire Line."
Beat Carmageddon with ABC7
The 405 shuts down the weekend of July 16-17, and ABC7 Eyewitness News is your home for the latest traffic news and information. Follow @abc7 and @BeatCarmageddon on Twitter, and use the hash tag #abc7traffic.
ABC7 has also partnered with Waze to help navigate the traffic. Download the Waze app, which provides free turn-by-turn GPS navigation based on the live conditions of the road. Join the community of drivers in Southern California today and beat Carmageddon.
carmageddon, I-405 closure, construction, road closure, metrolink, abc7 traffic center, amy powell
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale 4 min ago
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight 38 min ago
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- OTRC: Kelly Rowland in talks to be 'X Factor' judge