ABC7 Traffic Center
Carmageddon worries Laurel Canyon residents
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- When the 10-mile stretch of the 405 Freeway shuts down for two full days, all those cars have to go somewhere, and some residents living along key alternate roads like Laurel Canyon Boulevard are dreading what "Carmaggedon" weekend will be like in their neighborhood.
Laurel Canyon Boulevard is a popular short cut to Studio City, but when the 405 shutters from the 101 to the 10 freeways beginning the night of July 15, some residents along the corridor say their street will become an alternate freeway.
"I think most of us have prepared or made the decision on whether we'll travel these routes," said Cassandra Barrere, president of the Laurel Canyon Association.
Barrere said her main concern is first responders when the two-lane road is bumper-to-bumper.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority says safety is their main concern.
"Law enforcement, fire, transportation and emergency management agencies ... are not recommending motorists access Sepulveda Boulevard or any canyon passes as alternate routes, as these are intended for local access only," said Dave Sotero of the MTA.
Drivers are encouraged to use alternate freeways.
People who live in Sherman Oaks also expect more congestion on Ventura Boulevard and Coldwater Canyon Avenue.
"I think I'm just going to be staying home, get my shopping done early and possibly get my shopping done in the other direction at other stores," Sherman Oaks resident Jennifer Haaland said.
Beat Carmageddon with ABC7
The 405 shuts down the weekend of July 16-17, and ABC7 Eyewitness News is your home for the latest traffic news and information. Follow @abc7 and @BeatCarmageddon on Twitter, and use the hash tag #abc7traffic.
ABC7 has also partnered with Waze to help navigate the traffic. Download the Waze app, which provides free turn-by-turn GPS navigation based on the live conditions of the road. Join the community of drivers in Southern California today and beat Carmageddon.
carmageddon, I-405 closure, construction, road closure, metrolink, santa monica, ucla, medical emergency, abc7 traffic center, melissa macbride
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 33 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- 2 dead after car plows into crowd near SXSW
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- FBI hunting Hawaii for top terror suspect
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
20 min ago