ABC7 Traffic Center
Houses of worship to close during Carmageddon
BEL AIR, Calif. (KABC) -- The upcoming two-day closure of the I-405 has some local churches and synagogues making big changes, including canceling services.
The 405 will shut down for a 10-mile stretch between the 10 and 101 freeways beginning the night of July 15.
Some houses of worship are planning to close their doors and relocate their services because of the anticipated traffic.
Bel Air Presbyterian Church will not hold services the weekend of the closure.
"This is not your typical neighborhood church. It's a commuter church," said one man at the church. "People come all the way from the South Bay, all the way out from Thousand Oaks."
Leo Baeck Temple, a synagogue, is also feeling the impact.
"We never cancel services. We are here every Friday night, so this is very unusual for us," said Rachel Timoner, an assistant rabbi.
The temple has made a kit of recipes, activities and more for its members to celebrate Shabbat at home.
"We're hoping that the long run, these improvements to the freeway, this expansion, will mean that it will be easier and quicker to get here for all of our congregants," Timoner said.
Beat Carmageddon with ABC7
The 405 shuts down the weekend of July 16-17, and ABC7 Eyewitness News is your home for the latest traffic news and information. Follow @abc7 and @BeatCarmageddon on Twitter, and use the hash tag #abc7traffic.
ABC7 has also partnered with Waze to help navigate the traffic. Download the Waze app, which provides free turn-by-turn GPS navigation based on the live conditions of the road. Join the community of drivers in Southern California today and beat Carmageddon.
carmageddon, I-405 closure, construction, road closure, metrolink, santa monica, ucla, medical emergency, abc7 traffic center, darsha philips
- CO school shooting suspect dead, says sheriff 8 min ago
- Car bomb plot thwarted at Kansas airport 13 min ago
- Body found near East Los Angeles College
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park
- SoCal boy's cancer fight inspires
- OC homicide: Roommate sought for questioning 25 min ago
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- 2nd woman in purported mercy killings ID'd
- Mega Millions jackpot rockets to $425 million 38 min ago
- Mom with cancer inspires daughter's friend
- Bruno Mars named Billboard's 2013 top artist
- Beyonce releases surprise album on iTunes
- OTRC: Bradley Cooper talks 'American Hustle'