ABC7 Traffic Center
UCLA summer camp concerned about Carmageddon weekend
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Carmageddon" is approaching, and some young people who attend a summer camp on the University of California, Los Angeles campus are anxious about the 405 Freeway closure, because members fly in and out of the airport every weekend.
High school students from around the world attend the summer performing arts camp. Every weekend over the summer, new students arrive as others depart.
It's a carefully choreographed schedule with pickups and drop offs at Los Angeles International Airport, but come "Carmageddon" weekend, organizers fear nearly 300 students and some of their parents may be caught in the congestion.
"We have arranged to delay our orientation on Sunday," said Emma Filby of US Performing Arts Camps. "The faculty has arranged that because obviously we have issues with faculty getting to UCLA if they live in the hills."
The camp sent parents information on alternate routes. Organizers said the show will go on.
With a 10-mile stretch of the 405 Freeway from the 10 and 101 freeways shut down, it'll be a challenge. Freeway ramps will begin closing at 7 p.m. on Friday, July 15, with lanes shutting down at midnight on the 16th. The 405 won't reopen until 6 a.m. on Monday, July 18.
The closure could create chaos for the hundreds of thousands of travelers expected at LAX that weekend alone.
"We are estimating about 170,000 passengers on each day that's coming and going to LAX," said Nancy Castles of Los Angeles World Airports.
And it's not just the passengers. The airport also has around 20,000 employees who have to get to work each day. Airport officials are encouraging workers and passengers to plan ahead.
Those who miss their flights are being warned that re-booking could be a challenge since it's the height of the summer travel season.
Beat Carmageddon with ABC7
The 405 shuts down the weekend of July 16-17, and ABC7 Eyewitness News is your home for the latest traffic news and information. Follow @abc7 and @BeatCarmageddon on Twitter, and use the hash tag #abc7traffic.
ABC7 has also partnered with Waze to help navigate the traffic. Download the Waze app, which provides free turn-by-turn GPS navigation based on the live conditions of the road. Join the community of drivers in Southern California today and beat Carmageddon.
carmageddon, I-405 closure, construction, road closure, metrolink, abc7 traffic center
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten 29 min ago
- UK attack driven by radical Islam - officials
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Man shot to death in Boston bombing probe
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Virgin tops, Spirit flops in airline survey
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- PHOTOS: 'Dancing With The Stars' finale